Sunday, November 7, 2010

Vegan Experiment

Hi!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do eat vegetarian most of the time. This is for a few reasons. Probably the number one reason is that I'm just not a huge meat fan. The second reason is that meat is sort of expensive. Especially the free-range, organic, etc. meat that I'm actually tempted to eat. Third, my carbon footprint is greatly reduced by not eating meat. I've never wanted to strictly be a vegetarian though, because that becomes a hassle when having dinner at other people's houses, weddings, etc., and because I'm not actually opposed to eating meat so I don't see a need to be restrictive.

I recently started using almond milk in place of regular milk. I had seen it in the store for weeks, but I was afraid to try it because it was only available in 1/2 gallon containers and had the potential to be awful. Finally I risked wasting the $3 and went for it. Turns out that it is delicious! Since I no longer needed regular milk for my oats, it got me thinking about veganism. There are quite a few vegans in the running community and in Boulder in particular (for anyone who wasn't aware, Boulder is pretty hippied out). So, I'm giving it a try for a few weeks. I mostly just want to see what it's like to eat this way. It also better environmentally, which is nice because the local produce will be dying out soon and thus my fruits and veggies will be shipped in from who knows where. Of course, if I like it and am feeling good, maybe it'll stick, although I'll never really be a true vegan or vegetarian. I am from the dairy state afterall, and let's face it: cheese is delicious!

I hope to keep this up strictly for at least two weeks. Hopefully I'm not singing a different tune tomorrow, lol.

Happy Eating and Running!

Jen

No comments: