Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Long Run Route

Hello!

One of the things that I'll miss when we move is the route where I typically do my long runs. Yes, I realize that Boulder is pretty much a mecca for outdoor activities and there will be plenty of GREAT places to run there. But, I'll miss this route nonetheless. It's cheesy, I know, but it's kind of like an old friend. I've spent so many early Sunday morning hours out there. It's on that path that I realized while training for Lakefront last year that I actually (gasp) enjoyed doing the really long training runs. It hadn't always been that way. I'd say for my first three marathons I put in the long runs because I enjoyed the marathon itself and that is what I needed to do in order to succeed in it. Somehow the fact that I actually enjoy running distances that make most people cringe without the benefit of crowds or aid stations made me feel that much more like a seasoned distance runner. Of course, this path has been the setting for some spectacularly bad training runs as well. But, I truly think that the really bad, tough runs are just as important to your overall training as the ones where you feel like a rock star anyway.

My long run path starts about a quarter mile from my house and stretches out into rural Wisconsin, winding past farms and fields. It's gravel and I love the 'crunch crunch' that it makes with each footfall. (Wasn't I the one who didn't think I was so sentimental or philosophical about running?) It doesn't have to be only for long runs, but I tend to reserve it for these. This is partially because I just have it tagged as such and partially because I don't think it'd be too safe in the dark and I tend to do a lot of my weeknight running in the dark.

I have many landmarks along the route that I know and expect. One really stands out. It's a tree that sits about 2.5 miles into the run. I've wanted to get a picture of it for a long time and I finally did so this week. A fair amount of my running route is at least partially wooded, so why does this one stand out? Well, there are a few reasons. First, on the way out, it appears suddenly after I run around a bend in the path. The way it appears is just how I imagine it would be in a movie. (I really apologize for my sappiness today. Next time I'll rant about something, I promise). Second, it stands basically alone in the middle of a field. And third, it's so perfectly shaped. It's the archetype of a tree without looking fake. I pass it just as I'm getting settled in for a nice long run and signals to me that there's only 2.5 miles left in that 20 miler. I always look forward to seeing it.

Here it is....And a random countryside picture:

This path is actually a snowmobiling path in the winter. It's important to know which way the tavern is:

The only negative to this path is the birds that are out in full force right now. I'm not sure what kind they are. They are relatively small and black with a bit of red-orange and white at the wings. I'm not sure if they have babies right now that they are protecting, but they don't like me entering their territory. They sit on the fence posts and when I run by, they fly off and kind of hover behind me. It's pretty creepy, but I've gotten used to it. The really aggressive ones swoop down close to my head. That is always frightening!

So that's where I bang out the long runs!

Happy Running!

Jen

No comments: